The Humanities Department at Gus Garcia Young Men’s Leadership Academy integrates Social Sciences with Language Arts, an approach that encourages students to develop an awareness of themselves, their community and the world.
The humanities can be described as the study of how people process and document the human experience. Throughout human history, we have used philosophy, literature, religion, art, music, history and language to understand and record the world around us.
Our team encourages students to foster habits that enable them to become engaged members within their global community.
Within each classroom, we provide the framework for our young men to learn:
- Key concepts and habits of thinking by engaging in historical inquiry;
- Skills that build on historical analysis, persuasion, and use evidence in reasoning, writing, and discussing history in every unit of study;
- Appropriate technology tools to investigate, examine, research and communicate findings;
- Critical thinking and listening skills as they share interpretations of historical information; and
- Skills to develop a growth mindset.
To learn more about AISD’s social studies standards and find resources for parents and students, please visit their page on the Austin ISD website.